About Education at Avoca SLSC “
Our aim is to train and educate our members to the highest standard, providing opportunities to develop your skills so that you can effectively patrol Avoca Beach.
Under the umbrella of the Australian Lifesaving Academy, Freshwater SLSC provide education and training in nationally recognised courses.
Education and Training
The education and training team at Avoca provides opportunities for members to constantly add new skills and increased capabilities for patrolling the beach.
- 2014_SLSNSW_AwardsandQualificationsChart_v18 (1) (Covers all awards from Junior Awards (Surf Survival, Surf Rescue, Radio Operators) to Public Safety (Bronze, Silver and Gold Medallions) First Aid, Training and Powercraft Awards)Please Note: These awards qualification charts are subject to change. Please check the Surf Life Saving NSW website to get updates.
Each year, all our Members are required to undertake an annual proficiency test of the life saving skills learnt during the training of their Bronze Medallion. This annual ‘requal’ refreshes and reinforces these skills.
Training and education of our life savers is carried out by a small dedicated group of experienced trainers both within the Club and SLS CC.
Many of the courses delivered are nationally accredited which provides opportunities for the knowledge and skills gained through Life Saving to be used for gaining or maintaining employment outside of the Life Saving movement
The following courses are offered through Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club
- Surf Rescue Certificate (must be 14 years and over)
- Bronze Medallion (must be 15 years and over)
- IRB Crew Certificate
- Silver Medallion IRB Driver
- Advanced Rescucitation Techniques
The following courses are run by SLSCC on behalf of Central Coast Clubs…click here to see the calendar of events
- Spinal Management
- Silver Medallion Beach Management
- Training Officers Course
- Apply First Aid
- Gold Medallion
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue
- Assessors Course