On 6 January 1929, 7 days after a tragic double drowning at Avoca Beach, the community got together and the foundation club for Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club was formed. Four months later the club had 12 Foundation Bronze Holders, even though the Club still did not have its own reel! In 1930 the Club gained its first surfboat and a further 6 Bronze Medallion holders.
In 1929, the Clubhouse was valued at 115 pounds; it was built by voluntary labour and was later relocated to its present position. By 1950’s the Clubhouse was far too small for its needs and in 1958 the new plans for a Clubhouse were finalised with the present Clubhouse completed in the 1964-65 season. 1971 saw a major extension to the back, and then in the 2004-2005 season plans were again finalised and grants sourced for the refurbishment and rebuilding of the Clubhouse, with the building reopened in August 2006.
|CLUB||Avoca Beach SLSC Inc.|
|YEAR FIRST CLUBHOUSE BUILT||1929|
|YEAR PATROLS COMMENCED||1929|
The club held its first surf carnival on New Year’s Day, 1930, becoming an annual event for the next 50 years. In addition to surfing events woodchopping and horse races were also held.
The Ladies Auxiliary, was formed in 1946, and has worked tirelessly for the club over the years. The Avoca Beach Nippers commenced in 1965 and has regularly been placed in the top ten clubs at the State Championships.
In 2005 building of a new club house commenced thanks to sponsorship from the community at large through the Buy a brick program.
Building of a New Clubhouse
5 November 2005